Monday, May 16, 2011

Kids get hurt...right?

As I sit and watch my little "innocent" children play in the yard, I realize something...kids have it so easy!  When I was younger, I remember playing in our back yard with all the neighborhood kids, listening to Billy Ray on my boom-box, and climbing every tree around.  Wow, I am so over protective.  I actually yelled at the kids for trying to climb the Walnut tree in the front yard.  Why? Because they could get hurt!  I know that my mom loved us very much, but I can't bring myself to let them do things that might hurt them. My kids have never had a broken bone, never had stitches, or even needed a butterfly bandage.  So, I feel like I am doing a pretty good job as a parent....so far. I know it's not all about getting hurt, it's about being a kid and experiencing things for the first time (like broken bones and stitches).  BUT...I know the first time that I let them do something, they will end up in the E.R. just like their dad does every holiday. 
You see, when I was young, I was in the hospital every other day it seemed.  I had 13 stitches in my face by the time I was eight.  I just want them to be happy, you know?  Not afraid to do things but careful when they do. 
Ok, Trish, get to the point, right? Ok, well here it is.  Kids get hurt, they will get bruises, scratches, scars, broken bones, and even stitches eventually.  I just have to make sure that I am there when they do, so I can assure them that they will be ok, so I can kiss the "boo-boo's" and stick a band-aid on it.  I guess being out here, makes me remember how it was when I was a kid.  I didn't have my mom telling me not to find adventure, or not to play baseball with the boys because I would get hurt.  I did play...and I did get hurt and my mom was there to make sure I was ok.  My challenge to myself this week is going to be letting my kids experience new things. I am going to (try) not be so over protective for one week...we will see how this goes.  Just remember though, this is a really difficult thing for me to do.  Babystep!

No comments:

Post a Comment